General Vata balancing program
In this page you can read about how to balance vata (air-ether elements) in your body and mind.
Follow the recommendations below if your prakruti (birth dominant) is vata, or if you have a vikruti (imbalance) in vata.
You can find out your prakruti/vikruti by the PDE (present dominating elements) self-test at the bottom of this page.
- Get enough rest
- Wake up slowly in the morning
- Keep warm
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco
- Maintain regular habits
- Try to eat at similar times every day
- Choose quiet and calm environments
- Avoid too strenuous activities
- Take regular oil massage
- Go to sleep at the same time every night
- Go to bed on time
- Choose foods that are warm, cooked, nourishing, and easy to digest
- Choose food that is natural sweet, sour and salty in its core taste
- Avoid food that is light, dry and cold in character
- Reduce food that are bitter, astringent and pungent in its basic taste
- Use the right spices to maintain the digestive fire in the stomach that can improve the metabolism and reduce gas related problems
- Avoid dry, light snacks like chips and popcorn, especially in the evening
- Sweet taste is essential for balancing vata but avoid refined sugar
- Eat meals quite frequently
- Don’t skip meals
- Prepare your own food and eat it warm
- Consider food as a treat and make every meal a celebration
- Eat the right quantity of food according to your stomach condition
- Don’t eat or drink when anxious or have fear in mind
- Eating warm food is like an inner blanket for the mind especially in cold climate
Here you find a basic yoga program to balance vata. For instructions on how to perform the asanas, longer programs and therapeutic yoga for 50 different symptoms/diseases refer 'Yoga is my therapy'/'Yoga är min terapi'.
To think about when practicing yoga for vata
- Be in the moment
- Keep your energy level even
- Perform the asanas slowly
- Be calm and centred
- Avoid fast movements
- Take care of yourself
- Don’t give up
Dharana is the initial state of meditation, used in the beginning of your yoga program to draw maximum concentration into your practice.
Dhyana is practiced at the end of your yoga program. Dhyana means a state of meditative mind and while Dharana draws your focus into a single thought, Dhyana dissolute every single thought by the feeling of being in the moment. Staying in one feeling without any thoughts can be a challenge for the beginners but through the continuous practice your mind will gradually reach there.
Dharana and dhyana can be practised outside your yoga practise too. In that case chose a position where you can be relaxed but awake in mind and body, for example Diamond pose or any of its variations.
VOICES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
"With your help and great books, every day is happiness."
"Woooooow. The family loves the recipes I have tried from your new cook book... the youngest in our family yelled out loud "best soup ever"about the beetroot soup... thank you so much for sharing!!!"
"Thank you so much, for everything I learned and to you for being the wonderful person you are. I am indeed inspired and energized. I want to become more of me, more true and more kind to myself after meeting you."
"Thank you so much for inspiring us swedes."
"Thank you so much for being the ambassador for this valuable knowledge! You are changing lives with your wonderful mission and soul."
"I loved your lecture. Thank You for an Inspiring evening in Östersund yesterday where you really created Energy."
"Your book "Ayurveda för ditt sinne" was a real life changer for me. Forever grateful for it! Forever!"
"You are a beautiful ray of light. Thanks for your words to the world."
"Two well invested hours. Thank you for a very inspiring and energizing lecture."
"Greatest food book ever."
"Wow! For today, for life and for Janesh and his amazing team who dedicate their lives to uplifting our consciousness."
"Janesh Vaidya explain the subject so clearly and simply, everybody can listen and learn. What a chance to meet the great author and practitioner in person."
"Thank you so much. Thanks for a very inspiring and energizing lecture. WOW!"
"Janesh Vaidya impressed us with his clear and warm kind of explaining and talking about healthy and happy life. He keeps it simple and easy to understand."
"Still energized after your visit in Skövde. Have had lots of WOW-moments."
"Beautiful pictures in a wonderful book with so many delicious recipes."
"A most interesting, inspiring and well presented evening."
"So much energy presented with warmth and humor. Thank you!"
"The workshop of Janesh Vaidya about the knowledge of Ayurveda was very inspiring and eye-opening. Janesh uses such beautiful and vivid pictures to illustrate his wisdom. "
"The workshop taught me how to live with passion, find what you are best at."
"This workshop enhanced my health and in consequence also my life. It was like a wake-up call."
"Janesh Vaidya's 2 ½ hour workshop, without slides or script, was a single stream of exciting and illuminating connections. With each of his words, he created images that make his message crystal clear to his listener."